Monday, July 16, 2007

Integrity - The Core Differentiator of a Sales Guy

Over the next series of articles, I want to share with you my take on what differentiates a sales guy from the crowd. The differentiation is not only in terms of exceeding the yearly quota but in terms of how successful has been the transformation from a Sales Person to a Business Manager.

This transformation is something that I came across while reading the legendary sales book "Selling to VITO (Very Important Top Officer)". If you want to build a long lasting rewarding relationship with your client then you need to stop selling your services and instead become a problem solver. This fundamental change in mindset is a paradigm shift that a sales guy has to make to earn the coveted role of business adviser to VITO. There are some examples of problem solving that I can share with, however, at this point of time, I find it both a digression and little to early to ponder on this item.

In this article, I want to talk about the core differentiator of Integrity. In my words, I define Integrity as " The ability to exercise one's total freedom and capacity to ensure that you are true to the goal". In more tangible terms, this translates to rock solid commitment of a sales person to his profession. I can assure you that this intangible trait is the most obviously observed quality that a prospect first notices in the sales person. However its also something that a sales guy is not conscious of. This is because its a fundamental value system and is an involuntary reaction to a situation. I would like to relate you an interesting learning that I was party to.

As the Manager for Sales, I continuously work on the arcane channel of alliance driven sales to affect quantum growth. I have had my share of success and learnings in this route. During one such incident, I was supposed to meet a sales manager from a company that was helping in providing some compliance software products. The sales manager was a very diligent and organised individual. He sent me and my VP regular updates and follow-up notes. His approach was professional and the sales discipline appreciable.

We called him over for a meeting after several reschedules because of some unavoidable circumstances. Also it was not on the top of our priority list, but I and my VP were curious to meet this gentleman(lets call him "Tom"). Tom had already made an impact on us with his methodical approach!

The meeting was on an afternoon and Tom came in well in time. We exchanged cards and the discussion was progressing pretty well. Tom had a pleasant demeanor and was talking about the company and the products that they offer. However, my inquisitive and curious eye was looking for some signals to understand his true passion for the role.

I noticed some slight aberrations. Tom's tie button was open. His shirt also was not the perfectly starched shirt I expected from a sales hungry manager in a start-up. Then something interesting happened. The discussion moved on from the company offerings to Tom's sales experience. My VP obviously wanted to size him up and see if he was a fit for our organization. Tom's credentials sounded good, and he presented his experience very well. He also mentioned that he had interviewed for us a long time back. He infact knew a common friend of my VP. This eased conversations to a more informal note. There was some small talk about the common friend and things were going great in the meeting.

This was when, my VP in inadvertently (I hope), popped the question to check if Tom was still interested in working with us. I was expecting that Tom would divert this question. However, something unbelievable happened. Tom immediately acknowledged. He was in fact very enthusiastic about it. He also went on to speak about where else he was interviewing, how some of the interviews went and how close he was to latching up another job. I was hoping that he would stop but Tom went on. He went on say, how the current company was not structured well, and how their decision making was flawed.

I must tell you, sitting on the other side of the table, I was so uncomfortable. The meeting ended with some follow up items. As soon as Tom left, my VP said, " What a way to blow up all your credibility". Not only was Tom written off, I can assure you we might also not do any business with his company!

It was a great learning. Your integrity is what prospects notice first. It is your integrity that gives you the passion to sell against all odds, and leaves you as the last man standing. Always keep in mind that its the profession of sales first and everything at work comes next. This is the only way you can give your best to your client and build a great relationship on the foundation of mutual respect.

Till next time happy selling....